A dental cleaning is a professional cleaning you receive from a dentist or dental hygienist. Most dental cleanings only take between 30 and 60 minutes. In addition to a dental cleaning, our dentist may suggest other treatments to help you maintain good oral health.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning?
The first thing our dentist will do is take digital X-rays of your teeth. Then, they will perform a professional teeth cleaning. They will remove plaque and tartar from above and below your gum line to prevent gum disease. They will also polish your teeth to make it more difficult for plaque to stick to them in the future. Lastly, they will floss between each tooth to remove any remaining debris.
The dentist will also spend time educating you about your oral health in order to help you maintain your beautiful smile in-between visits. This includes answering questions about brushing techniques and recommending products that will help you keep your mouth clean and healthy.
Why Is Dental Cleaning Important?
A dental cleaning removes plaque and tartar buildup, helping to prevent gingivitis. We recommend getting regular dental checkups and cleanings for the following reasons:
- Maintain good oral health and help prevent problems from occurring.
- Prevent more serious health issues from developing.
- Reduce the likelihood of needing expensive treatments in the future.
- Enjoy better overall wellness. Good dental health is linked to better overall health, too. For example, gum disease has been linked to serious health conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Routine dental visits help to prevent those problems from happening in the first place.
- Children need dental checkups every six months to help them acclimate and get used to the dentist’s office, as well as prevent any potential problems or issues from developing early on.
- Older patients should see the dentist twice a year to help catch any potential issues before they become serious and require more expensive procedures.
- Patients with certain medical conditions may benefit from seeing their dentist more often to ensure they maintain good oral health.
How Often Should You Get a Cleaning?
The American Dental Association recommends getting a dental cleaning at least twice a year. Some patients may need more frequent care, depending on their situation. Our dentist will help determine how often you should come in for dental care to keep your mouth as healthy as possible.
To learn more about dental cleanings in Sheboygan, WI, or to schedule a consultation with us, call Cooper Dental at (920) 452-1110 or visit us at 703 South Taylor Dr., Sheboygan, WI 53081. We’re always happy to welcome new patients to our practice!